Monday, January 6, 2014

A Short Introduction

Howdy, everyone. I hope everyone has had a happy new year thus far. In this first blog I'd really just like to set up what this blog is about, why I'm doing it, and who I even am.

First things first, my name is Andrew Todd. I'm a Senior Political Science and History Major here at Texas A&M University in College Station. I'm originally from outside of a small town called Palestine, Texas in East Texas. Before I came to A&M I attended Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont for two years. Next, the whole subject matter and reason for this blog in the first place is about farming and food. For the last several months I've been volunteering at the Texas A&M University Howdy Farm (hereon referred to as the Howdy Farm) which is an organic farm that is run by the Sustainable Agriculture Students Association on the Texas A&M campus.

I grew up on what some farther up North might call a farm, but by Texas standards was really just a small piece of land with some vegetables, chickens, and maybe a cow or horse occasionally. I don't have any formal educational background in farming or horticulture aside from three classes on Agricultural Economics. I don't volunteer with the Howdy Farm because I anticipate it will help me in some type of horticultural career, I do it because I believe in what they do and I appreciate the lessons that working the land can teach and I'm a firm believer in reaping what you sow (in the case of farming I mean this literally.)

I've never really been the city type, and the Bryan-College Station area is by far the largest city I've ever lived in. Working at the Howdy Farm allows me a chance to get back to what makes me comfortable, (hence the name of the blog) working with the land to grow or raise food.

If the subject matter of this blog piques your interest, you are welcome to continue checking here for updates as they will be regular. I look forward to sharing my experiences with all of you for the next several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment